May 19, 2015
It was unlike any event Oak Park Temple has seen up till now in its 150-year history; it won’t be seen again for who knows how long.
Oak Park Temple, 1235 N. Harlem Ave., celebrated that past as well as the future by unveiling the contents of its time capsule Sunday, a 5-by-13-by 5-inch copper box containing treasures from the time the congregation laid the cornerstone of the building on June 24, 1956. The synagogue’s first services were conducted on Rosh Hashanah in September 1957.
More than 350 people took part in the morning celebration, a combination pep rally, songfest and story time, plus a trip down memory lane that only a few might have taken part in before.
The event was part of yearlong festivities for the synagogue’s sesquicentennial. No celebration was complete without food, and an indoor picnic was set up with plenty of hot dogs, along with music.